Thursday, March 27, 2008

Friends

As many of you may have heard, I´ve made some new friends over the last few months. I must say though, these friends are not very nice to me. In fact, I´m not even sure why we´re friends at all!

Would you like to meet my friends? I have had the pleasure of harboring a variety of parasites and bacteria for the last several months. The sneaky little fellows somehow managed to keep me continually under the weather, yet avoid detection for quite awhile.

Thankfully, after a week full of not-so-pleasant tests... we found the true source of my problems. Yay! So, I went through a week of hardcore medicines to try and kick these friends out of my body. I´m not feeling 100 percent quite yet... since they´ve hung around so long, these guys have managed to do quite a bit of damage to my insides which will take awhile to heal. But, I feel much, much better! Thank the Lord!

I´m actually enjoying my super healthy diet and learning all sorts of new creative dishes to cook. It is a bit frustrating to try and follow it while traveling, but remembering how badly I've felt for so long is encouragement enough to stick to it!

I may need to repeat the parasite treatment in a week or two, as they often lay eggs and you then have to treat them as well. But, it looks as though things are getting better. I'll probably have to continue with the special diet for at least another week or two and then start slowing adding things back in as my stomach allows.

In a way, I feel as though this is just part of my South American adventure!

No comments: