Friday, March 14, 2008

Salt

A neighbor stopped by to borrow some salt yesterday. It made me unbelievably happy. I was reminded of a sense of community that we just don't experience much anymore in the States.

I grew up out in the country, and did on occasion borrow eggs or sugar from a neighbor if I was baking and found myself to lack some important ingredient. Even far out in the country though, the natural response is more often to take a trip to the store or to put off the cooking project if an important item is found to be missing. It was fun to be reminded that I can count on the people around me if I need something, and to know that I am available for them when they need it. Even in a country where sugar, salt and other basic ingredients can often be hard to find, I feel confident that someone would loan a bit to me if I had need.

No comments: