Tuesday, June 9, 2009

The Fruitloop phenomenon

Generally I am a pretty natural, healthy food sort of girl. Nothing overly sugary, pumped with chemical coloring or salt. My motto tends to be something of the "Made by nature, I'll take it; Made by man, no thanks" sort. 

I made the horrible mistake however a few weeks back of going to the grocery store while incredibly hungry. Low and behold there was a whole section of Fruitloops. For some reason they called my name, with gusto. It may be that I was so hungry that anything sounded tasty. It may be that I had some sort of sugar or chemical coloring deficiency in my diet at that moment. Or it may simply be that there it was, something familiar and overly American staring me in the face. Perhaps I was homesick that day. Whatever the reason, I proudly took home my box of Fruitloops and proceeded to consume them a little too quickly in the following days. 

I think I have become addicted. Is there a 12-Step Program for Fruitloop addicts? I just bought my 3rd box today, so I guess I'm not going through them that quickly. I still can't decide however whether I really just like them a lot, or if it again is the familiarity to home. Home of course being the US and not my actual home, as Fruitloops would never in a million years have entered my home as a child.

1 comment:

Alyssa said...

Hilarious. My weakness is Capn' Crunch. I hadn't bought a box in ages and then last week I caved in and now I can't stop munchig!